Christmas time is coming, with its cinnamon scent, lights, colors and magic in everyone’s eyes!
Venice at Christmas becomes even more of a daydream to be enjoyed, with endless opportunities for everyone.
In this article you may find a collection of ideas that I feel close to my taste (you know I’m a bit particular about this…I only promote what I would do…)
- Musei Civici di Venezia special and extended openings
- “A Venezia è di scena il Natale”
- Christmas markets
- Nativity scenes in Venice
- Fireworks show for New Year’s Eve in Venice
- Big Vocal Orchestra at the Goldoni Theater on Dec. 10 and 11
- Big Vocal Orchestra in Venice and Mestre.
- Temporary exhibitions.
Musei Civici di Venezia special and extended openings
Palazzo Ducale, Museo Correr and Museo del Vetro will be open at all times.
The list of Musei Civici special openings:
- Monday, Nov. 21: All museums open
- Friday, December 9: extended hours Palazzo Ducale and Museo Correr until 9 p.m.
- Saturday, December 10: extended hours Ducal Palace and Correr Museum until 9 p.m.
- Friday, December 23: extended hours Doge’s Palace and Correr Museum until 9 p.m.
- Sunday, December 25: all museums open, with the exception of the Candiani Cultural Center
- Monday, December 26: all museums open
- Sunday, January 1: all museums open
- Monday, January 2: all museums open
- Friday, January 6: extended hours Ducal Palace and Correr Museum until 9 p.m.
- Friday, January 13: extended hours Museo Fortuny and Ca’ Pesaro until 9 p.m.
- Saturday, January 14: extended hours Museo Fortuny and Ca’ Pesaro until 9 p.m.
Here you may find a post with all the special initiatives of the Musei Civici: in addition to the extraordinary openings and extended hours, also the suggestive aperitifs at the Caffeteria of Museo Correr!
“A Venezia è di scena il Natale”
The Christmas lights will be lit starting Nov. 21st, the day of the Festa della Salute.
They will remain lit until Feb. 21st, 2022, the last day of Carnival.
Lights will decore Strada Nuova, Piazza San Marco and the Marciana area, and the different routes in the sestieri of Santa Croce, Cannaregio, San Polo, Dorsoduro, San Marco and Castello.
On Dec. 2nd, the Christmas tree in Piazza San Marco will be lit, while on Dec. 3 the Venice ice rink will be inaugurated.
Venice Christmas Market
- From December 9 to 11, 2022, Campo San Maurizio Antiques Market
- Until December 24th at Ca’ Sagredo the beautiful Christmas Art & Crafts
- Market on Strada Nova, until December 24th afternoon
Via Garibaldi Markets
- From Friday, November 25 to Sunday, November 27, traditional Venetian foods (cicchetti, meatballs, castradina, pasta and beans….)
Christmas markets at the Lido di Venezia
- Lido Isola del Natale, the Christmas Island at the Quattro Fontane Park, p.le Santa Maria Elisabetta, Gran Viale and P.le Lepanto
Mestre Christmas Market
- From November 25th to December 28th, 2022 in Piazza Ferretto and Via Poerio
- From November 25th until January 6th, 2023 in Via Allegri
- From December 8th to 11th, December 16th to 18th and December 20th until Christmas Eve in Via Palazzo, from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. and on Christmas Eve until 5 p.m.
Marghera Christmas Market
- Every Sunday from November 13th to January 22nd, in Piazza Mercato (it’s a big NO, don’t loose your time here)
Nativity scenes in Venice
Thanks to Alessandro Spada, heart and mind of Hydden corners of Venice:
- At Chiesa della Maddalena
- At Hotel Giorgione an exhibition of Venetian nativity scenes
- 22nd DECEMBER -> At Palazzo Corner Mocenigo (Venezia, Campo San Polo 2128/A) the exhibition of nativity “IL FASCINO DEL NATALE A PALAZZO CORNER MOCENIGO“
Fireworks show for New Year’s Eve in Venice
Confirmed the fireworks show that will light up Bacino di San Marco at midnight on New Year’s Eve.
Big Vocal Orchestra at the Goldoni Theater on Dec. 10 and 11
A one-of-a-kind concert-show, with songs ranging through many different musical genres: from movie soundtracks to famous songs from musicals, spirituals, contemporary gospel, classical polyphony passing through some international pop-rock masterpieces to classical operas, all with original arrangements accompanied by intense theatrical readings, choreography and video and light effects.
With its more than 200 elements, the Big Vocal Orchestra is in fact the largest vocal ensemble in Italy and Europe, a true artistic phenomenon of the nationally famous city of Venice.From the press release
Big Vocal Orchestra in Venice and Mestre.
- On December 29th, the Big Vocal Orchestra will perform in Piazza San Marco
- On December 28th in Piazza Ferretto in Mestre.
I suggest some exhibitions that will close immediately after the holiday season. If you are in Venice also looking for cultural activities in addition to the endless permanent museum offerings, I recommend:
- CLOSING -> At Palazzo Ducale””Anselm Kiefer – Questi scritti, quando verranno bruciati, daranno finalmente un po’ di luce” until Jan. 6th 💯 and “ “Anselm Kiefer – Questi scritti, quando verranno bruciati, daranno finalmente un po’ di luce” fino al 6 gennaio 💯 (un allestimento incredibile!) e “Dialoghi Veneziani. Capolavori dal Pushkin State Museum” until Jan. 8th, 2023
- CLOSING -> At the Museo di Storia Naturale until Dec. 31 “Giovanni Miani – viaggio alla scoperta di un esploratore“
- CLOSING -> At Palazzo Grassi until Jan. 8th, 2023 “Open end,” an exhibition by Marlene Dumas 💯
- CLOSING -> At Le Stanze del Vetro until Jan. 8th, 2023 “Venini: Luce 1921 – 1985 💯 (closed Wednesdays), free admission. A truly evocative exhibition!
- Instead, you have more time to visit at Palazzo Franchetti until April 10th the beautiful exhibition “Lee Miller and Man Ray – Fashion, Love, War”